Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My 'Faithful Indian Companion!'

 I've told you about my good friend before.
 He's the one who takes pictures of
everything and everybody!
 We spent some vacation time with he and
his wife recently.
 After that visit I have come to the
conclusion that,somewhere in his family
tree, there were Native Americans!
 I've made this deduction after trying
to walk with him from a small town
parking lot into and out off a grocery
store located just across the street.
 Most of us would pass other individuals
coming from or going to the same
destination. We might very well raise a
hand and exchange a quick 'Hi' or "Good
morning.'
 That is unacceptable to my friend.
 Something inside his being demands that
he make conversation with nearly everyone
within a few feet! It's an exchange
that usually ends up with information
about their age,their reason for being
there, the length of their stay, the
number of their children and/or
grandchildren,their address, the year
they graduated from high school,
and, of course, a photograph!
 It's  a well intended human
exchange that usually stops life for
a few minutes for my friend,his wife, the
new acquaintance,and anybody else who
happens to be in his company.
  I am now convinced this stems from
a Native American tradition that seeks
to preserve people's stories not by
written word but, rather, by word of
mouth. It was often the tribe's
Chief or Medicine Man who was
responsible for telling and
retelling these tales over the
years.
  In my mind that would make my
friend the Crazy Horse or
Sitting Bull of today's world.
  Standing by and listening I can
see how the terms 'Crazy' or 'Bull'
might be applied to his actions!
 There's a lot of each for those
of us who stand helplessly by
waiting to complete our tasks!
  If his wife were Catholic she
would undoubtedly qualify as a
Saint if only for her patience!
  I would identify my friend
but odds are you probably have
already met him and that he's got
a photo of you somewhere in his collection!
 Hope all his and your NEWS is good!

1 comment:

  1. To know him is to love him :)
    P.S. Does he read this blog???

    ReplyDelete