Monday, July 25, 2011

Toy Story!

   I've been getting a lot of reaction to the
video I posted on YouTube yesterday.
   It's called "Family Rap" and it shows
a lot of us gathered around the table in
our Wildwood 'Vacation House' as we
created a 'rap tune' on the spot.
   It's on my Blog page under 'Family
Rap."
   I thought the tune was pretty good.
   But, like they used to say on
"Bandstand", it's the BEAT that's
getting most every one's attention.
    And that's what leads us to our
"Toy Story!"
   Actually, it's the source of the beat
that prompted most of the comments.
   It came from the rhythmic cadence
of two balls as they hit each other
while suspended at either end of a
string.
   Most people recognized the toy as
"Clackers." 
   "Clackers" were popular toys in the
late 1960's and early 1970's. Kids
held the string in the middle, then lifted
their hand up and down, causing the
two balls to collide which created
the 'clacking' sound that gave the toy it's
name.
    But there was a problem! The
original "Clackers" were made with
hard acrylic plastic. That made them
sort of a kid's version of the
Argentinian bolas. They were pulled
from the market because a lot of kids
were injured while swinging them
around.
   I'm kind of wondering if a few TV
screens, mirrors and the like might
have ended up with 'Clacker cracks'
as well!
   Apparently the new models are
made from a lighter grade of plastic
making them a bit safer.
    I think I'd still keep clear of breakable
objects!
    Anyhow, let's give some credit to
my clan for turning the toy into a tool
for tunes!
    A few verbal sound effects,
a half dozen clapping hands, a lot
of imagination and a Boardwalk
bought "Clacker" were all it took to
turn an evening round the table into
'America's Got Talent!'
   We didn't even get any help from
"Woody"  or "Buzz Lightyear!"
    I can't promise a "Grammy" for the"
effort. But I know its already
become a "DeCosmo Classic!"
   And the beat goes on!
   Hope you've got it and that
all your NEWS is good!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, clackers, I remember them well... remember Wheelies? I think that's what it was called.... plastic wheel, with magnetic spoke that travelled on a metal railed handle.... much tamer than clackers...lol IIRC some of the balls split and would fly off as well.

    ReplyDelete