Sunday, July 31, 2011

He's Feeling His Cheerios!


   I found myself screaming a lot last night
as my son and grandson raced around the
track in front of me! I wasn't yelling at them.
I was cheering for them as they sped by.
   Both were aboard their cycles and came
ready to race.
   But before I go any further let me point
out that these 'cycles' are not Harleys or
Orange County Choppers
   They are bicycles where YOU provide
all the power!
    And this was a BMX race!
    For those unfamiliar with the term
BMX stands for 'Bicycle Motto Cross.'
    This is not a flat track where drivers,
or in this case riders, only turn left!
     A 'NASCAR' style track would be a
breeze in comparison.
     The track itself winds back and forth.
And there's nothing "flat" about it!
     You've got to ride or jump over
a series of hills and bumps while
racing against other riders trying
to negotiate the same obstacles as fast
as possible.
    Spectators, like me, get to enjoy the
thrill of the race (so long as riders don't
swerve off the track in your direction),
a burger and fries, and our own
serious competition as the nightly
50/50 ticket is drawn!
    Then there's that screaming I
mentioned. You can lose your voice
shouting "Go..Go..pedal..pedal!!!!"
    We had a bit of relief from the
tension of the race as everyone
cheered for one rider who was
actually in last place. He is 3-years-
old and went slow enough so that
everyone could see the huge smile on
his face as he pedaled by!
   My only concern was the possibility
they'd start the next race before
he finished and the next group of
riders would catch him!
    My son took a first place!
    My grandson came in 4th after
catching up with and passing a rider that
seemed to have him beat!
     I did not win the 50/50 though I felt
myself a serious contender having
purchase 6 tickets for three dollars.
    Both my son and grandson seem to
 love the thrill of the race.
     Both have good bikes. They've
got a lot in common though they're
separated by some 26 years!
     It was nice to see them competing,
each in his own class. And it was nice
to see all the families who come out
to support their sons and grandsons as
well as their daughters and grand
daughters who race!
    Here's hoping you're family is 'pedaling'
together in some activity...and that all
your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment