Thursday, July 21, 2011

Up The Lazy River!

   A visit to the Water Park has become
part of the family's Jersey shore
vacation!
   There are several to choose from
along Wildwood's Boardwalk. But they
all offer similar attractions that let you
cool off in the summer sun.
    The kids love those giant slides that
send them sailing into a huge pool of
water! There's a rope set up above
another pool like you might have found
at your own old swimming hole. One of
the play areas has squirt guns the kids
can use while waiting for a big overhead
bucket to fill with water then pitch and
dump its contents on everyone who
happens to be below.
     But one of the things you won't find
at the water park is a swimming pool!
     The attractions take up too much
space to allow for an area where you
can just swim.
     Still, there are options for those of us
who aren't intent on waiting in a long
line to slide down a steep incline into
the deep end of a pool where, seconds
later, another human will be landing.
     There is, for instance, "The Lazy
River." This constantly moving stream
of water follows a channel that circles
the rest of the water park. The idea is
to board an inflated tube and simply
go with the flow.
     Of course 'boarding the tube' is an
ability many of us have yet to master.
     You see, when you push the tube
underwater to get your body aboard,
the tube has a tendency to shoot
away...sometimes at great speed.
     You can attempt to lift the tube
then pull it down over your head. I've
found, however, that the circumference
of the tube is usually somewhat
smaller that the required clearance for
my shoulders. Not to mention the rest
o me!
     I usually end up with one of my
chins on the side of the tube as I hold
the built on handles and let the float
lead me around the river's bends.
     On my last visit boarding the tube
was not an immediate problem. There
were no tubes to be seen except for
two already occupied by others.
     One of the park's lifeguards
indicated there were several just
ahead in the channel. So I finally
got an actual 'swim' in as I
pursued a tube half way round
what they still call the 'Lazy River.'
    It was a fun day for all!
    And there were two really great
benefits for me.
     First, Seniors get in for free. So
the price is right.
     Second, if chlorine really kills
germs, I suspect there was enough
in this park to keep me free of colds
for the next four years!
     Hope your water wings are ready
and that all of your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment