Monday, July 11, 2011

"Welcome To The Hotel California!"

 Sorry. I had to take some liberty with the
title because this commentary is about
hotels but none of them are in California!
 As most of you know by now we've been
doing a little traveling lately.
  After doing so we hold these truths to be
self-evident, that all hotels (or in this
case motels) are not created equal!
  Some, in fact, make it really hard for
travelers to enjoy life, liberty, and the
pursuit of happiness!
  Of course unless you've stayed at a
place before or are willing to fork
over $150 or more for a place to rest
your head you pretty much have to
take your chances based on Internet
photos, brochures, or location.
  When you've been driving for eight
hours or more location is often the
factor that figures in the most.
  We hit a couple of places on our
recent trip that wouldn't cut it as
"Holiday Inns."
  Most have signs offering 'Free
WiFi' these days. That caught my
attention at a place just outside
Augusta, Maine.
  A young man and woman with their
child were sitting out front as we
pulled up.
  They seemed really pleased. And
maybe even surprised. That should
have been a sign!
  They turned out to be the son and
daughter-in-law (and grand child) of
the owners who had gone into town.
  I asked if they had a room available.
  Judging from the choice they
offered most of the entire motel was
available. I picked a number, at
random, and got the key.
 That, perhaps, should have been another
sign. You see most hotels and motels
haven't used keys for several years!
  Electronic cards are the preferred
method for opening doors these days.
  But card or key...you usually get two.
  I just got one, plus a free bottle of
water that's made available to the guest
(at least to one of the guests).
  I can't say the place was dirty. It was
just 'old.' It had an old look and an old
feeling to both the structure and the
room.
  I tried to use my computer but couldn't
get on line. I finally went back to the
office (the owner and his wife had
returned from civilization) and learned
that the signal was sometimes poor in
my section of the motel. If only I had
know that when I was picking a number
for a room!
 I was allowed to use the office area
for awhile since there was a signal
there.
  Then I went in the bathroom to wash
my hands. You know how motels have
little bottles of shampoo and body
lotion that most people take with them
when they leave? Well you couldn't do
that at this place because they're weren't
any.
 In fact there were no towels! I mean
none.
 I realized I'd have to go back to the
office again if I wanted to dry my hands.
 I figured that could put me in a bad
situation the following day after my
morning shower so I asked for a complete
set during my second visit.
  Two other places on our recent trip were
better than the one I described. But each
fell short of Howard Johnson's old
standards.
  Maybe I just picked too quickly because
I needed the rest.
  Or maybe Norman Bates just has
different names on the places in his
chain.
  Which ever, I hope you're resting well
and that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment