Friday, February 10, 2012

The "Bear" Facts!

  The scary video of a TV Anchor woman
being bitten by a dog during a live program
in Denver on Wednesday brought back an
"interesting" memory for me! It also
reminded me of an old show business
adage..."Never work with children or
animals!"
   KUSA's Kyle Dyer is recovering from
reconstructive surgery after being bitten
on the lip by a dog that had been rescued
from an icy lake on Tuesday.
   Of course we wish her well.
   I witnessed a similar, and potentially
worse,situation when I was just a "cub" in
local radio.
   My encounter, back in the 1960's, involved
"Rosie".........a trained BEAR!
    Rosie was one of two bears trained for
motion pictures. The bruins were scheduled
to be part of a show at the Hazleton Drive In
Theater that night. But, to promote that show,
the trainer brought Rosie to the studios of
WTHT radio which used to be located in
Hazleton Heights.
    I watched from a production studio while
Rosie, her trainer, the theater manager, the
station manager, and two of our DJs crowded
into our main control room which probably
was designed to fit three people comfortably.
    Ralph Lockwood was doing the interview
while Frank Murman ran the control board.
    I don't know if Rosie didn't like being
crowded or was just hungry. Either way
poor Frank suddenly found his leg in Rosie's
mouth and the interview was quickly ended!
    While Frank got the worst of it, I was the
one who had to explain to the nurse that I
was bringing in a friend who had just been
bitten by a bear.
     You didn't get many cases like that at the
old Hazleton State General Hospital!
     Frank was all right after being treated
for four  puncture wounds in his leg.
     And the show went on as scheduled that
night at the Hazleton Drive In Theater.
     I would have to admit, however, that the
MC, standing with the trainer, Rosie, and one
other bear that night  may have been just a little
nervous!
    I JUST HOPE I DIDN'T SHOW IT!
    Yep! I was that MC!
    Hope you're always careful around animals
and that all your NEWS is good!
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment