Saturday, February 11, 2012

On The Right Track!

   I've been trying to get out for a walk
everyday. And I've seen some neat things
here and there as I go.
   Yesterday I saw something that made
me think I had stepped  into the Twilight
Zone and back in time!
   I was walking across the Water Street
Bridge crossing from West Pittston into
Pittston when I heard the whistle of an
oncoming train.
   It was running south on the tracks
that follow the Susquehanna towards
Wilkes-Barre.
  And there, just behind the engine, was
a Caboose! Yep! A caboose!
   With the exception of a tourist train at
Kempton in Berks County I haven't seen
a train trailing a caboose for many years.
   Before technology improved in the
1980's trains had to carry additional
crew members. And they carried them in
the caboose.
   As a little kid you almost always got a
wave from one of those crewmen as the
freight passed by.
   I was glad to see one riding the rails
again..... even if it was a little different.
   You see the one I spotted was green
and it was right behind the engine.
    Cabooses should be red! You know
the song!  And they really belong at the
back of the train That's in the song too!.
    I know they're not actually needed.
   But there are a lot of things we don't
really need that are still nice to see or
think about! Take desert for example!
    If I were President I'd issue an
Executive order requiring cabooses
at the end of all freight trains.
   Heck, with an issue that good I could
probably beat some of those guys
already running! A few of them are
definitely on the wrong track!
   Hope you Stop, Look, and Listen and
that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment