Monday, February 20, 2012

Gone Fishing!

   I am a fisherman. That is to say,II
occasionally go fishing.
   Sometimes it's to catch, or try to
catch, fish.
   Sometimes it's just a drive to look
for neat places and things
   Fishing for fish got a lot easier when
I turned 65.  That's when I became
eligible for a "Lifetime Senior Fishing
License" that's good for.....well....your
lifetime!
    You should try to live at least two
years after buying your "Lifetime
License" because it costs a little
more than twice the usual yearly fee.
     If you're fishing for fish you'll need
a fishing license, a fishing rod, some
hooks, and something for bait.
     If you're just out "fishing" for neat
things and places you'll need a
vehicle, a driver's license, or someone
to drive you, and money for gas.
     We call it "fishing for adventure"
and it can be fun for the whole family!
     I didn't catch a lot of actual fish last
year.
     But I did find a couple of neat places.
     Like a train excursion where you can
 ride in the caboose, or playgrounds
tucked away here and there where the
grand kids can get out and have some
fun just running around. I get to make
sure my car seat reclines and my radio
picks up some soft relaxing music. (That
does not apply however if the kids need
to be pushed on the swings.)
     Yesterday we visited one of the Flea
Markets we've come to enjoy. As the
result of that stop I've been assured a
fishing adventure for many days to come.
      My daughter's attempt to open a
bargain bag of Swedish Fish did not go
as planned and a large school of the
little red licorice creatures suddenly
became flying fish that have found
homes in places still undiscovered
throughout my van.
      Everyone pitched in to net as
many as possible and we did land a
few.
     I am now hoping the rest will be
caught before my Lifetime License
expires!
     Whether it's fish or adventure
you're seeking, here's hoping you
"get the big one" and that all your
NEWS is good!

2 comments:

  1. Eons ago when I supervised the snack bar that sold treats to the kids after school where I taught, one of the standard items was swedish fish. There were actually made in Sweden and always sold for 1cent each. It was an intentional effort of the manufacturer to keep something buyable for a single penny. Naturally that required reducing the size of the fish. The fingerlings eventually became minnows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right Steve. And even bought in "bulk" you can be sure these minnows were more than a penny a piece! Great to hear from you...hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete