Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Send A Card To A Friend Day!

  This is "Send a card to a friend day!"
  But you probably already knew that
right? Sure you did!
  It always falls on February 7th.
 There's virtually no information about
how it got started. But it was, very
likely, the idea of some greeting card
company.
  I found out about it on an unusual
web site that highlights bizarre and
unique holidays.
  But guess what!!!!!
  On "Send a card to a friend day Eve,"
I received a card from my oldest friend!
  Let's face it. With the possible
exception of Christmas time, most of
us don't get many cards in the mail
from anybody these days!
   My buddy is an exception. Not only
does he still send an occasional card.
He uses every available inch of writing
space on the greeting.
   He always picks a fitting photo
or image for the cover. We both love
cars, especially older ones, so that's
on the cover of his latest novel......I
mean.....card.
   As usual there's a personal, and long,
message on the space Hallmark
provided. Then, at the bottom, there's
a little arrow that directs the reader....in
this case me...to the back of the card
where he's even written over the company's
logo.
    I send a lot of greetings by email these
days. But I have to admit it was really
great to get an actual card that someone
took the time to pick out, hand write, stamp,
and take to the Post office to make sure it
got into my hands!
    And that doesn't even take into account
all the ink he used up!
    Hope you're got at least one good friend
like mine.
    I also hope you'll send him or her a card
sometime .......maybe today.....and that all
your NEWS is good!
   
 

3 comments:

  1. You're right about the specialness of someone taking the time to send snail mail in this time. You indicated that the cost of the ink was not even mentioned. My guess is that the writer could tell you the value of the ink and that it saves money to use a fine point pen. I'm enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an old box full of letters & cards from friends & relatives recalling visits to different states, suffering through the chicken pox together, fun times in college and so on….I guess that in the future we’ll have to look to our Facebook Timeline to remember the “good old days”! ;-)

    I had no idea that it was send a card to a friend day….I’ve marked my calendar for next year. Thanks for sharing…..

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to go through your old letters and cards and smile at the memories they hold. That is becoming a lost art these days. Sadly, my handwriting is so bad nobody could read it anyway...

    ReplyDelete