Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Signs Of Spring?

  February is about to leave us. In fact it
would have had its bags packed today were
it not for the need to synchronize the
calendar with the earth's orbit round the
sun every four years!
   There's still plenty of time for Old Man
Winter to come out of his unexpected
hibernation. But there are also plenty of
signs of Spring if you know where to look
for them.
    Like the geese! I spotted two more huge
flights yesterday. I could tell there were
two flights because they former a "W"
as they passed overhead. I'm pretty sure
they were headed north. At least I'm
hoping it was north.
    My wife keeps telling me there are
crocuses coming up all over. I'm not real
good at recognizing flowers. Especially
when they're just green stems.
     I know that gas prices usually go
up in the Spring. Judging from the
prices I've been seeing we must be
skipping spring entirely and going
right into summer!
      Pitchers and catchers have
reported for 'Spring Training" so I
guess that's a sure sign it's here...or
nearly here.
      But here's the thing.... I don't
know how far north the geese have to
go before it's spring.
      According to "Wikipedia" Crocuses
 can flower in the spring, autumn,
or winter.
     Gas prices.... well they seem to be
going up year round.
     And, let's face it, the ball players
aren't called "the boys of spring." They're
"the boys of summer."
      But don't despair. I did find one sign
that's proof beyond a reasonable doubt
that spring is about here.
     I spotted my first "Political campaign
sign" planted along a back road where
they seem to grow ever year. When you
see those smaller signs going up on road
sides, trees or poles you can be
certain it's just about time for the Spring
Primary! I think it's too soon for the
November General Election.
     Hope you're ready for spring and that
all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment