Monday, July 23, 2012

Every Thing Is Relative!

  It was another family day at Knoebel's Amusement
Park Sunday!
  Since the weather was good I decided to put the top
down on my Miata and meet up with the rest of the
gang at the park.
  I used portions of Interstates 80 and 81 for the trip
and probably hit speeds of 75 miles per hour as I
passed tractor trailer traffic going my way.
  That really didn't seem to be exceptionally fast.
  Why then does "The Twister" seem to roar by my
vantage point at nearly the speed of sound?!
   For those who may not know, "The Twister" is
Knoebel's recreation of a roller coaster known as
"Mr Twister" that was abandoned when the former
Elitch Gardens Amusement Park was relocated in
Denver, Colorado.
   The original plans were to move the coaster but
Knoebel's didn't have the space it needed. So,
Knoebel's  bought the blueprints for"Mister Twister",
did a little redesigning, and built their own version
which opened 13 years ago tomorrow!
    But back to the illusion of speed.
   "The Twister's" top speed is 51.5 miles per hour!
   Of course it attains that speed as it drops nearly
90 feet in about 1.5 seconds.
    A human stomach, of course, is not designed
for an altitude change in that span of time....hence
it's movement from it's normal space into one
throat.....they tell me.
   I admit my information comes second hand.
   My personal involvement with "The Twister"
is limited to riding the "Pioneer Train" which
runs directly under the giant roller coaster.
   As my title implies..."Every thing is Relative".
   So, I let my relatives, usually my wife, one
daughter, and several grand kids, "twist away"
all they want.
   I'll continue to take the train!
   Hope you enjoy all the rides....and that all
your NEWS is good!













No comments:

Post a Comment