Wednesday, July 4, 2012

IN THE RIVER!

    Oh what I saw when I looked towards the
river! The Susquehanna that is.
    I was walking in West Pittston when I
heard the sound of distant voices. The
dialog was too far away to understand. But
a quick glance across the street, down the
steep bank, and into the water reveled the
form of three men (age unknown) who
seemed to be standing, and fishing in mid
stream.
    I took a shot with my pocket camera but
they were really too far away to see with
my small lens.
    I think I've already told you I like to
fish. But not enough to walk out into the
Susquehanna!
   I remember a fellow TV newsman who
once demonstrated ...."How low" the river
was by standing a step or two in the water and
suggesting it was ..."low enough to walk
across."  I remember wondering how is
report might have looked if he stepped into
a hole along the bottom or into what can
sometimes be its very narrow channel!
    Of course it might have been a much
better report!
    Something else came to me as I watched
the trio. As far away, and below me, as they
were, had I been standing in the same spot
last September....I would have been UNDER
WATER!
    That thought was a chilling reminder of
just how deep that river can get!
     I'm glad to see the river being used for
recreation. It can be an area asset as opposed
to a liability.
     Speaking of liabilities,  I'm hoping the
Three Stooges I spotted mid stream caught
their limit and made it back to shore safely!
     Enjoy your 4th of July!!!!!!
     Hope you're not hearing voices and that
all your NEWS is good!

  



No comments:

Post a Comment