Friday, July 6, 2012

Neighborhood Theaters!

   I love to go to the movies! Always did!
   When I was growing up there were 7
theaters in town and two of them were
within 5 blocks of my house.
    The Alton and the Diamond were the
close ones!
    Those were the "Neighborhood
theaters."  They were among the first
victims of the big multiplex theaters
that dominate the industry today.
    But, in at least one sense, the
"Neighborhood theater" have returned!
    We went there last night!
    Unwilling to part with the usual twenty
four bucks or so it takes for our "senior"
admission, a medium popcorn, and a
soda I decided to catch up on a recent
movie using our neighborhood
"Redbox."
      I do, of course, far prefer a visit to
the Big Screen theater to watch a movie
the way it should be seen. But, now and
then, I'll sacrifice the theater ambiance
for a chance to put my feet up on the couch
while I enjoy the feature.
     My Redbox flick costs $1.20 assuming
I get it back to the machine within 24 hours.
     Blockbuster has a machine close by too.
     Like the multiplex I have air conditioning.
     I also have my own popcorn! It's Orville
Redenbacher's!  I do have to pop it myself.
     But I get about ten bags for the price I
pay for one medium in the theater.
     There is one another advantage. I don't
have to miss an important scene to visit the
restroom or refill my popcorn! My "Pause
button" will freeze the action just where I
want it frozen.
      Even the movie companies want to make
you feel like you're in the theater when you
watch their features via Redbox or
Blockbuster.  They include plenty of Previews
on each and every DVD!
       And while the theaters remind you to
shut off your cell phones while you're in their
auditorium the Redbox features begin with an
FBI Warning that you'll be going to jail,
probably forever, if you try to copy the movie
you rented to watch!
      As I said, given the choice, I'll always take
the Big Screen!
      But I like the idea of having this new
version of Neighborhood theaters....in my
neighborhood!
       Hope you enjoy the show, where ever you're
watching, and that all your NEWS is good!



















No comments:

Post a Comment