Saturday, July 14, 2012

    Yesterday was Bastille Day so my wife and I and
some friends escaped to New York State.
    We set my GPS for the Corning Glass Museum.
     There are probably a thousand ways to get there
from Wilkes-Barre. I admit I was a bit surprised
when Penelope, that's the name I gave the British
female voice in my Garmin, directed me there by way
of Red Rock Mountain.
      The road over Red Rock does head North. It also
heads UP!
       Our ears "popped" numerous times on the way to
the summit!
        But it was our eyes that "popped" at the Glass
Museum!
        Thousands of beautifully sculptured works of
glass, most of it done by hand by true artists. Some of
them demonstrate their craft for the visitors.
       But I was especially impressed by the guy who
did the demonstration I'd like to handle!
       It was the "Glass Breaking Demonstration."
       Heck, I've been breaking glass for as long as I
can remember. And without any special training!
       If plates count, I could have a Doctorate in this
speciality!
       Of course this demonstration was based on
various forms of glass that are produced in
different ways. Those differences explain why a
kitchen glass will shatter into pieces when
dropped while a can windshield will "spider"
with cracks rather than sending sharp pieces
flying your way in an accident.
     But...think of it! Making a living breaking
glass! What a fantastic opportunity! On to be
young again....and with a hammer!
      Hope you're careful in the kitchen and that
all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment