Monday, February 12, 2018

WHAT;S IN A NAME?


  TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 13TH, 2018
            WHAT'S IN A NAME?

    February 13th is listed by the website
holidayinsights.com as "Get a Different
Name Day."
     It's a day to think about, or perhaps
actually take, a name you'd like to have
as opposed to the one your parents
picked for you.
     In broadcasting I found it pretty
common for people to use something
other than their given name.
     Folks around here probably remember
broadcasters like George Gilbert, Guy
Randal, Bobby Day, and my ECTV Co-
host Rusty Fender.
     Their actual names, in the order I
listed, were George Schumacher, Guy
DiFrancesco, Geoege Miscavage, and
Dale Mikolaczyk.
       Sometimes the personalities
made the decision to alter their name
to one more easily remembered by the
audience. Sometimes station management
mandated the change.
       There was already a newsman named
Craig on the air when Craig Davis joined
WNEP TV so he was asked to choose
another first name. He choose that of
his brother Mark and it stuck. I'm not
sure if anyone every approached his
brother about switching his name to
Craig!
       I've been using my given name
since I entered broadcasting in 1959
although I did call myself Double Dee
as well.
       And, as they always say, call me
anything you want except late for
dinner!
        So, if you're unhappy with your
name pick another at least for the day.
After all, as our old buddy Billy
Shakespeare wrote "That which we
call a rose by any other name would
still smell as sweet."
         Hope, by whatever name you
go, all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment