Sunday, March 15, 2020

CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!


   MONDAY, MARCH 16TH., 2020
CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR!

   I slept in Sunday morning. An unsettled
stomach had me longing for an extra two
hours rest.
   It helped. And by early afternoon my wife
and I were wishing we had something to do.
   It was at that exact time we realized our
refrigerator was no longer working!
   We had dealt with a brief power outage
on the circuit that feeds the fridge on Saturday.
It was apparently caused by a last gasp of breath
from the old Kenmore.
    I remember hauling it to our house some
20 years ago with the help of my late friend
and cameraman Bob Dennis. I remember
swearing it was the last time in my life I
would move a refrigerator!
     Refrigerators should be born in the place
where they are to stand. They are not built
to be carried anywhere!
     My wife began to clear what she could
salvage into ice chests. My grandson came
to our rescue with additional coolers and
his ability to clear out a bottom freezer
without breaking his back!
     Then my son turned to Superman, again,
by giving us his family's "back up refrigerator"
which was stored on his back porch.
      He physically moved it and lashed it to
a carrier that fits into a trailer hitch on my car.
      My only job was to drive it home and hope
I didn't let it drop onto the highway as I negotiated
the 5,000 or so pot holes between his house and
mine!
      Next he and my grandson spent the day
installing the new refrigerator, removing the
old one, then restocking the unit from all those
ice chests.
       I watched the younger grand kids while the
two younger men did all the hard work. My wife
handled some heavy stuff too and the only injury
sustained all day came while I was pushing my
grandson on the playground merry go round
and the steel bar tore open a large patch of skin
just below my knuckle on my right hand.
       So it seems we had "something to do" after
all!
        Hope we'll get 20 years out of this fridge
and that all your NEWS is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment