Sunday, March 8, 2020

TITANIC SEASON!


   MONDAY, MARCH 9TH., 2020
            TITANIC SEASON!

     We're still just over a month away
from the anniversary of the sinking of the
Titanic. But the calls and invitations came
early this year.
      I was always interested in the story of
Titanic but became a serious student of
the disaster after reuniting two survivors
back in 1972. Ever since I've been getting
invitations to tell that, and some other
stories linking our area with the Titanic.
     It's kind of amazing there's so much
interest in a story that's over a hundred
years old and always end the same way!
     On Sunday the Anthracite Heritage
Museum in Scranton celebrated "PA.
Charter Day" by hosting a talk about
the Titanic featuring Bill Lewis who
authored a book about people coming
to our area on the ship, Mae Thomas,
whose mother survived the sinking,
and me, I've gathered some interesting
stories about the ill fated journey.
      It was great to see a few young people
at the event. They're the ones who will
have to carry on this and other historical
stories in the years ahead. I'm already so
old I have to explain to school students
that I didn't actually cover the sinking
personally!
      Still, as long as I'm able I enjoy
retelling my tales of the unsinkable
Titanic...... that sunk.
        Hope you'll get to hear them too
and that all your NEWS is good.


     

No comments:

Post a Comment