Thursday, March 5, 2020

IMPROVISE, OVERCOME, ADAPT!


          FRIDAY, MARCH 6TH., 2020
   IMPROVISE, OVERCOME, ADAPT!

    The phrase used as the title of today's
essay is most associated with the United
States Marine Corps.
     The implementation of these affirmative
actions is, apparently, a necessity for other
as well. In this case, grandpas!
      My 4-year-old grandson and I were on
our way to one of our regular visits to
Steamtown when I spotted a playground
we had never visited before. I suggested
we give it a try and my grandson eagerly
agreed.
       The play area featured a couple of
attractions we had never seen before and
a huge tree-house like fortification all
kids love to climb and explore.
         One of its features was a twisty
slide covering about two stories in height.
          I walked to the end waiting to
catch the young man at the end of his
descent. As I stepped to the lower end
I spotted the large puddle of water that
had gathered there over the past couple
days.
         Before I could hold him back my
grandson came out! Right through the
puddle. He was soaked.
         We were about to turn back home
when I realized he had brought a bag
with him with supplies for his sleep
over, I checked inside and found a
set of clothes for the next day.
         The back of my Suburban was
quickly converted from hauling space
to a changing room and the wet
apparel was laid out over the
defrosting vents and in the sunlight
streaming through the front windshield.
            At Steamtown I used the roof
rack as a clothes line and within 90
minutes all the laundry was dry.
             We even made a return visit
to the playground although I thought
I might be confined to the car!
               Somewhere between
Steamtown and our stop for hoagies
at Catalino's my belt  broke and one hand
had to be used to keep my trousers up.
               Again I took to the back up
the Suburban where I found my supply
of  bungee straps. One proved long
enough to do the trick and, with pants
secured, we once again enjoyed the
sunny afternoon!  Even the large
slide had dried by then!
                 Felt like I had just stormed
the enemy stronghold and declared
victory!
                Hope the bungee hold for
another day and that all your NEWS
is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment