Wednesday, March 11, 2020

MEMORIES OF MY QUARANTINE!.


    THURSDAY, MARCH 12TH., 2020
  MEMORIES OF MY QUARANTINE!

     All of the precautions being taken because
of the  Coronavirus have brought back
memories of my quarantine over 70 years
ago.
       We weren't fighting a pandemic back
then. But there was a lot of concern around
my house!. I was dealing with Scarlet Fever!
        This once potentially fatal disease
resulted in a quarantine of our home. I
remember the red quarantine sign posted
on our front door.
         It was a little different than the
"self quarantines" being used by people
who may have been exposed to the
Coronavirus.
         I didn't have a TV with a hundred
channels to watch while I recuperated. In
fact, at that time, we didn't have any TV
at all.
         I was allowed to listen to the radio.
It had a lot of the same shows that are
on TV today. Just without pictures.
        I seem to remember my Mom
serving me a lot of soup. I think soup
cured most everything back then. Maybe
they should give it a try again?
        I don't remember if my Dad was
allowed to go to work or not. I was
too little.
       I do know my brother had a few
text books at home when I was
diagnosed.  He was not allowed to
bring them back to school!
        The "wonder drug" of that time,
penicillin, eventually lead to my
being cured. Fortunately, unlike some,
the fever didn't do any lasting damage
to my heart.
         Mine, of course, was an individual
case. Now they're postponing events,
banning travel, closing schools. and
waiting for the medical experts to come
up with the next penicillin.
         I hope things don't stay closed
until they do!
          I don't plan any major life changes
at the moment. I've always been pretty
good at washing my hands and I don't
have to go to school. The TV station
where I volunteer, ECTV, recorded the
Pittston Saint Patrick's Parade. I have
TV now so I can watch that as soon as
the editing is finished.
         I don't plan to quarantine myself
in my house. But if it comes to that I
have a good supply of bathroom tissue
and a couple cans of Spam. I may buy
some more if the stock market stops
dropping.
           Hope you're all feeling healthy
and that all your NEWS is good.
       
     

No comments:

Post a Comment