Monday, August 12, 2019

IF IKE ONLY KNEW!


    TUESDAY, AUGUST 13TH., 2019
            IF IKE ONLY KNEW!

     As many of you already know I began
my long broadcasting career as a DJ. I
switched to news at WILK in the mid
60's and I remember covering the late
Governor William Scranton dedicating
the intersection of the Keystone Short way
and the Anthracite Expressway.
     You know them as Interstate 80 and
81.
      They were part of a nationwide
highway building project envisioned by
President Eisenhower and based on the
German Autobahn highway system. 
        The president felt the limited
access highway network would be
invaluable in moving military convoys
during a national emergency.
         I liked Ike. But if he had tried
to move troops and trucks south on
81 through Wilkes-Barre Monday
we could have been invaded and
occupied by the time they got to
Mountaintop!
         One lane was closed. The
backup reached for miles and
we drove right smack dab into
it from Route 115!
         There was no warning as
we rounded the entrance ramp
and suddenly saw two south
bound lanes at a standstill.
          One of those neat lighted
Penndot signs would have been
very welcome had it been placed
BEFORE we got to that ramp!
          I was headed to Drums
to deliver a camera to a man
who had one hour for lunch.
It's probably a 25 minute drive
and I started at 11:50.
          When I managed to get
to the first available exit I
realized every other driver
who knew the area was, like
me, heading for Route 309.
         Between all the extra
traffic, traffic lights, and a
bit of construction on 309
south too, I was lucky to
reach the guy 5 minutes before
his lunch break ended.
        I recall a crash along
I81 in New York State a few
years back when workers
from the Empire State were
flagging on coming cars into the
single open lane rather that
allowing them to merge when they
wanted to. Barely a hold up as
we passed the accident scene.
        We need a better system to
keep traffic moving in work
zones! Even a tank would have
been stuck Monday!
        Hope they come up with
a better way soon and that
all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment