Tuesday, August 27, 2019

LITTLE PITCHERS HAVE BIG EARS!


      WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 28TH., 2018
      LITTLE PITCHERS HAVE BIG EARS!

    I've always appreciated the fact that kids
hear a lot more than we think they do. And
that's good enough reason to keep our
conversations respectful when children
happen to be within earshot.
    I've also used that principal to speak
to kids, especially my grand kids, as though
they were adults even before they were
actually able to speak. I believe my policy
was a small part in the development of the
great vocabulary each of my grandchildren
exhibits.
     My youngest  knows that bears
'hibernate' through the winter and will be
quick to tell you so.
     What I hadn't counted on was other
influences to which those grand kids
have been exposed!
      To many of you the term "British
Invasion" conjures up thoughts of the
days when The Beatles and many other
English Rock & Roll groups began
saturating the american airways.
      But a far more recent British
Invasion now shows up daily on our
television sets in the form of "Thomas
the Tank Engine" and another program
from Great Britain called "Peppa Pig."
       I've watched a few of the episodes
with my now 4-year-old grandson but
never gave too much thought to the
dialog except, perhaps, when the
characters spoke of  Santa Claus
as "Father Christmas."
       I'll be paying more attention
now! Last week my grandson
announced that he was trying to
grow Tomahtos in his back yard!
       Asked if he, perhaps, meant
tomatoes he replied "I don't like
tomatoes. I just like tomahtos! 
        Next thing you know the
kid will refuse to ride the
elevator in favor of a "Lift"
or try to call a "Bobbie"
instead of a policeman!
        Well at least his vocabulary
is a bit "international" to which I
say "Good show lad. Jolly good show."
       No matter how you say it or
slice it I hope all your NEWS is
good!


No comments:

Post a Comment