Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Buy Me Some Peanuts and......

  It was 'boys night out' at PNC Field last week
as my grandsons and I took in a Scranton/Wilkes-
Barre Yankees game!
  Baseball is still one of the best ways to bring
generations together. So much of the game is
steeped in tradition.
  We all stand for the National Anthem before
the first pitch. And to sing 'Take Me Out To The
Ballgame" in the middle of the 7th inning when
we also get to stretch!
  But baseball evolves too. There's the
"Designated Hitter" who bats in place of the
pitcher...at least on teams affiliated with the
American League.
  But the change I noticed most wasn't on the
playing field. It was in the Concession stands!
  First of all while there might have been
peanuts around somewhere I didn't see any.
And there were no Cracker Jack to be found!
   When I asked my grandsons what they'd like
for a snack before the game began, both agreed
on 'Churros.'  This was the spot where the
'generation gap' really looked deep.
   I had never heard of 'Churros' even though
the kids insisted they had bought them several
times when we all vacationed in Wildwood
a couple of weeks ago.
  Intrigued with their enthusiasm and
curious about this treat I told them to "go for
it."
  They came back with two bags. Each
contained two long sticks that looked a little
like thin, straight pretzels. These, I was told,
were Churros!
   And, after trying one, I had to agree with
the kids. These fried dough pastries, covered
with a cinnamon sugar, were delicious!
  According to Wickipedia the snack
originated in Spain! How they got to
the boardwalk and the baseball stadium I'll
never know!
   I will, undoubtedly, order them again.
   Next there was a need for ice cream.
   But instead of a cones  the guys
came back with a small bowl filled with
"Dippin Dots!" These tiny balls of frozen
cream and sugar pack all the punch of a
Banana Split...and at about the same
price!
   I can see why both of these concoctions have
become hits at the ball park.
   But I'm not sure how they'll fit into baseball's
long range traditions.
   I mean..think of it....."Buy me some Churros
and Dippin Dots...hope our hitters will
get a few shots!" Well...maybe it could work.
   Anyhow, hope you're taking the kids and
grand kids to the old ballgame and that all
your NEWS is good!

1 comment: