Monday, August 29, 2011

The Hurricane Hunter!

   The rain was falling hard early Sunday
morning. High winds were already
scattering leaves all over the roads and
taking a tree down here or there.
   Hurricane Irene was all around us!
   Eight days earlier a large Air Force
plane, equipped with all sorts of
instruments and a team of meteorologists,
flew right into he storm to gather
information about its strength and path.
   They're called  "Hurricane Hunters!"
    Now, facing the storm and the day,
it was my turn to hunt the hurricane!
    I needed information about it's
strength and path. I needed to know if
the roads I planned to travel were open
or blocked by trees, or wires, or water.
    I turned on the radio and got all kinds
of information. Unfortunately none of
it had anything to do with the storm!
    A scan of the dial, FM in my case,
produced an infomercial on a health
care product, several country western
tunes, some rap, and plenty of the
same commercials I've been
listening to everyday for the past few
weeks!
    To be fair, an old friend and colleague,
Brian Hughes, was calling in regular
reports to Magic 93, and I certainly
could have missed other reports on other
stations.
   I guess sticking to the
regular Sunday morning programming
could have been a
comforting thing for people who
worry too much when they hear
things about possible flooding or
possible evacuations.
     While most of the TV coverage
was national local information was
crossing the screen on a continuous
basis.
      Of course I still don't have a
TV in the car so I pretty much had
to judge conditions by the way the
wind pushed us around and the
emergency volunteers we came across
who steered us around a leaning tree
on our way to church.
     Since my health seemed pretty good
given the heavy wind, since neither
country or rap seemed to match the
beat of the rain , and since
I wasn't especially interested in those
commercials, I just
switched on the satellite radio and
listened to the 'oldies.'
     It seemed sure that the storm,
like all those local stations that
used to keep us informed, would
just go away!
     Hope you got the information
you needed, survived the hurricane,
and that all your NEWS is good.
       
  

No comments:

Post a Comment