Wednesday, August 31, 2011

How high's the water Momma?

     I have begun a difficult task!
     I am currently in the process of counting
the "Thousands Islands" to make sure they're
all there!
    We got an early start as my wife and I and
two wonderful friends set out for Clayton,
New York along the Saint Lawrence Seaway.
    The seaway is one of those rivers that
tends to surprise people from our area because
it flows East!
     It's a kind of "Super Highway" for ships!
     You can be quietly sitting in your boat
fishing or enjoying a leisurely cruise when you
suddenly see a Freighter filled with oar just
a  couple hundred yards away! It's best you're
not in his path! They can be quiet. But they're a
a lot larger and faster than you might think!
    The Seaway connects with rivers, lakes, and
canals which can take you from Florida up the
east coast through the great lakes and down the
Mississippi!
    Of course you'll need a big yacht and
wallet to afford a trip like that!
    We settled for a ride of just a few miles on
the river in my buddy's 18 foot open bow
motorboat.
   The term "open bow" is important to explain
the fact that my wife and my friend's wife
returned looking as though that had been
swimming in the Seaway!
   With waves I'll estimate at 2 to 4 feet and a
strong  headwind as we headed in the general
direction of Lake Ontario there was more
than just an occasional burst of water
greeting our two front 'lookouts.'
  I know they were 'lookouts' as I heard my
buddy shout that term to them just before
each wave it!
   You have to wonder if the melody or
lyrics of  "The Wreck Of Edmund Fitzgerald"
were ringing in their heads as they faced the
misty wet spray!
   I myself, safe in a dry passenger seat
protected by a windshield, was thinking
of the tune..."How high's the water Mamma?"
as I spotted the vessel's depth gauge hit
the hundred and two foot mark.
   A careful 180 degree turn put the wind
and the current at our back as we safely
sailed back to our dock space.
   That made the voyage 'successful' though
I only managed to account for four islands.
    We'll have to search out the other 996
tomorrow!
    Till then here's hoping you're on a
even keel and that all your NEWS is
good!

No comments:

Post a Comment