Sunday, August 14, 2011

Let's Go To The Hop!

   It's been a heck of a long time since I
was at a 'Record Hop.' And when I was
there it was probably because I was the
D.J. playing the records.
   Last week my wife and I were invited
to a 'Sock Hop.'  Somewhere between
my radio days and television news I
had missed that term.
   'Record Hops', of course, are not
likely to draw a crowd of teens these
days since few of them actually know
what a record is...or was.
  My wife explained a 'Sock Hop' as a dance
where folks dance in their socks. That does
sound logical. But it made me a little
apprehensive. I'm not sure how many
socks I have that don't have a hole in them
somewhere!
  And I haven't really danced a lot
since the 'Twist' was big...and new.
  The fear was unfounded, however, as
the evening turned into a performance of
kids dressed in "Bobby Sox style" (Some
of you will have to turn to Google at this
point). All the girls wore 'Poddle Skirts!"
   The "Keystone Kids/Starmakers"
entertained with singing and dance
routines featuring music from the 50's
and 60's. They were GREAT!
    I wonder how they got all that music
without using 45's?  (Another Google
assignment for some of you!)
    Anyhow I hope there are no holes
in your socks and that all your NEWS
is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment