Saturday, August 27, 2011

Good Night Irene, good night!

   Seems I'm returning to my roots in radio! At least
long enough to do an interview.
   Dave Williams who runs the Pennsylvania Farm
County Radio Network called Thursday night
to talk with me about Hurricanes!
    Now let's be clear. I'm no expert on either
tropical storms or agriculture although some have
linked me with 'hot air' and I have been know to
chomp down a few ears of corn from time to time.
     But Dave remembered my involvement with
Hurricane..later....Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972
and wondered if my experience might prove
useful as Hurricane Irene heads our way.
     I was the News Director of WILK Radio in
Wilkes-Barre when Agnes hit.
     I had gone to the Luzerne County Courthouse
to call back reports to the station. Once there though
I was 'drafted' as Public Information Officer for
Civil Defense. I called my wife to say I'd be home
a little late. It was two and a half days before she
saw me again for a few hours.
     Over those days the Susquehanna left thousands
of tons of mud in local homes! A few fish ended
in basements too!
      It was the worst natural disaster to hit the
United States up until that time!
      Farmers will be glad to know that sales of
bread and milk were really big before the storm
hit. But the smart folks took their bread and milk
with them as they moved out of flood prone
areas to higher ground.
       The most important thing is to know
what's happening ,where, and when.
      Back in 1972 volunteers from 13 area
radio stations worked with each other to set up
a Flood Emergency Network which I directed for
about two weeks. But each of those stations
had News Reporters on staff.
      Today....most do not!
      That is a tragedy in its own right.
      Local forcasters are saying we'll be on the
western edge of Irene and probably won't have
to face its full fury.
      TV will surely offer continues coverage.
      But it's tough to keep your eye on the tube when
the water is nearing your back door!
      Newspapers will cover the storm from every
aspect..after it's moved through!
      During the 'Agnes' flood local radio was
described as "the Hero of the hour."  We can only
hope it rises to the occassion again if the streams do.
      I hope it's not, that we can all sing "Goodnight
Irene, goodnight", that you stay safe and dry, and
that all your NEWS is REALLY GOOD!


     
  
   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment