Thursday, August 4, 2011

Reflections

   It was a horrible sight! And I was,
admittedly, looking in a mirror. But
it wasn't my reflection that frightened
me. I'm used to that. I see it everyday
when I shave.
   No, this image was in my rear view
mirror as I pulled up to a stop sign
waiting for my turn to make a right
onto the highway.
   We've all heard about and probably
seen those drivers with a cell phone
or cigarette in one hand while they
cling to their steering wheel with
the other......generally oblivious to
the rest of us sharing the road.
    The woman behind me did have
something in one hand. But I'm not
really sure what it was. I only know
her car was still slowly creeping
forward towards my rear bumper
while both of her hands were busy
fixing, adjusting, or styling the top
of her hair! Both hands!
    She had a lot left to do because,
forgive me, she looked terrible! I
mean she could have been a
vampire! No...wait a minute...
if that were the case I couldn't
see her in my mirror! Right?
   Besides it was daytime.
   Maybe I'm being unreasonable.
   Maybe somebody was in her
back seat trying to pull off a
robbery. Maybe he had just
yelled.."Hands Up!"
   Maybe her roof had just
started to collapse and she was
getting ready to hold it up till
help arrived.
   I'll never know the truth. The
driver in front of me moved on and,
with no sign of approaching traffic
other than the Honda behind me,
I pulled away too.
   I don't know where she was
headed and really didn't care as
long as she wasn't coming my way.
   I hope, wherever she was headed,
that she made it safely and that her
hair was neat by the time she
arrived.
    I'd be just as happy if she stays
out of my rear view mirror during
our future travels.
    Hope your "6 o'clock" is clear
and that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment