Wednesday, August 17, 2011

"It's Fun To Stay At The YMCA"

    There was no song or fancy hand
movements for the YMCA went I was
a kid back in my hometown.
     Back then at lot of my friends and I
WERE  'the Village People' and the
'village' was Hazleton.
     You might have thought we stayed
at the 'Y' for all the hours we spent
there.
     You could play ping pong or pool.
     You could go swimming in the
indoor pool or bowl on one of the
two lanes set up in the basement. I
actually set pins on those alleys. Yep.
No machine! Just a foot pedal that
raised 10 small spikes on which you
placed each pin. When you released
the pedal the pins stood there on their
own till the bowler knocked them
down..and sometimes shot one at you
as well!
      There was a workout room. And all
sorts of clubs and activities.
      And that 'Y', like most of the early
ones, did have rooms available on the
upper floors for those looking for
inexpensive accommodations.
     Back then, in Hazleton, there was
a separate, but equal, YWCA for young
ladies. It was next door to the old
Grand Movie Theater. My Dad met my
Mom by speaking from window to
window between the two buildings.
   I sent hours and hours growing
up at the 'Y' and my Mom helped raise
money for memberships for kids who
couldn't afford them on their own.
  But the  days of the 'Y' as a 'Boarding
House' disappeared for the most part
over the years.
   Most new YMCA buildings concentrate
on physical fitness and recreation rather
than housing.
  That's why I was surprised when my
nephew posted  Facebook comments
reveling the the 'Y' in Wilkes-Barre
was getting rid of it's Racquetball ,
Handball, and Squash Courts to make
room for 'apartments!'
   My late brother Jim was an ardent,
and good, handball player! He and
some of his friends looked forward to
an occasional break from work and
a good 'workout' at the 'Y.'
    I don't think Ping Pong or Pool
would cut it for them.
    They were a bit too old for 'clubs'
too.
    It was a great place for them to
get together for meaningful
activities, recreation, and exercise!
    I'm not exactly sure why the 'Y' is
expanding it's 'Motel 6' status.
    Who knows? Maybe all the available
housing in Wilkes-Barre is taken!
    Seems ironic  those workout rooms
will make way for space that will
probably include a comfortable couch
and a TV set!
    And it seems a shame that all those
loyal members may  have to limit their
exercise to arm movements spelling the letters
Y M C A.
    Hope you've got a locker and that
all your NEWS is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment