Monday, October 10, 2011

Ah Columbus!

  In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
  Old Chris has taken some shots over the
years.
   Scholars argue he wasn't the first person
to 'discover America.'
    The Indians...sorry....'Native Americans'
who lived here already knew that.
    I wondered if the years and controversy
have had any impact on what kids think
about the man. So I asked a few!
    Two of my grand kids, ages 8 and 10,
and two of their new friends, ages 6 and
8, were playing near our camper when
I interrupted their recreation with my
question.
    "Do any of you kids know anything
about Christopher Columbus" I asked?
     Their answers came without hesitation!
     "He was the one who discovered
America" one offered. Another pointed
out that it was, specifically, "North
America." All agreed that he was
not necessarily the first person to
'discover' America. They gave those
'Native Americans' credit too.
      They knew and named the
Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria
as his ships! When I suggested there
was a forth..... that sailed on and fell
off the edge of the earth..they told me I
was wrong... because his voyage proved
the world is round. Not flat like some
thought (I know a few people who still
believe it......most are in the media)
      Anyhow I was impressed to think
these kids know so much about Mr.
Columbus.
       Even his critics now admit that
he shared his 'discovery' with all of
Europe unlike those who may have
landed before him but kept it a secret.
      They certainly know he's
important enough to have some
statues scattered here and there and
to give them an extra day off from
school!
      Hope you discover a beautiful
holiday today and that all of your
NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment