Thursday, October 6, 2011

I've Been Framed!!!!!!

   Regular readers to this daily Blog will
remember last week's commentary on my
recent shopping trip to Home Depot.
   We went to pick up wood to make
frames for plastic that will cover the
screens on our porch for the winter.
    The key word here is "make."
    That means cutting the wood to size,
arranging the pieces into frames,
joining the pieces together, then putting
them in place.
     My wife, as many of your have
already learned, is a do-it-yourself fan.
     I'm still trying to figure out I became
part of that "do-it-yourself' equation!
     Isn't the term 'yourself' singular?
     Anyhow, I found myself  'volunteerd'
into the process.
     To be fair, she did all of the planning
and most of the work.
     I mainly held things when they needed
to be held and did some measuring that
only I could do. (That means I'm
taller and somewhat willing to climb
the ladder.)
     It wasn't especially hard except for
the fact  there are some muscles in my
back and neck that apparently object to
the kind of bending and stretching
necessary for this project. They were
quick to register their their objections
in the form of pain.
     For just a few moments I longed
to be back 'on the beat' covering
winter snow storms and government
corruption. All I had to do then was
get the facts, write, and tell the story.
     But the physical labor was soon
over and a dose of Ibuprofen (or two)
made some of the pain go away.
      So now I'm thinking of becoming
a consultant. My valuable "do-it-yourself"
experience has, I believe, put me in
great position to offer some advice.....
      Don't retire and...if you do....keep a
list of contractors handy at all times!
      For all of you more 'handy' than
I, hope your toolbox is filled and that
all your NEWS is good!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment