Sunday, October 30, 2011

The 'Imperfect' Storm!

  We'll hear and read a lot about the snow storm
that rolled through our area on Saturday!
   While individual forecasters will use the term
"as predicted" this snowfall wasn't quite "as
advertised."
   It was suppose to hit "after Midnight."
   Well, 10am is "after midnight" so I guess
I'll have to give them that one.
    But since I expected to see snow covered
ground when I awoke, and didn't, I had no
problem accepting a morning mission.
    Some good friends (who apparently
had inside information) decided to use this
week for their trip to Disney World.
    But two of their family members were
left behind and we set out to check on their
welfare.
   About that time the "after midnight"
snow began to fall.
    Our friend's home is in one of those
'higher elevations" you're always
hearing about in weather forecasts.
    In no time at all the roads became
slick and I had several second thoughts
about leaving my old faithful 4 wheel
drive  Suburban back at home.
   It's been resting all summer. At 226,000
miles in deserves a little down time.
   I managed to make it to our friend's
place OK. I was a little extra careful....
even putting my turn signal on about a
half mile before their driveway. That
was in the hope the guy trying to stay
two car lengths behind me would either
notice my intentions or, maybe, the snow
and slippery roads he seemed content to
ignore up to that point!
   He must have become aware of one or
the other. I'm pretty sure about that
since he didn't hit us.
   Last I saw he was speeding off into
the ever increasing flow of snow flakes.
  My tires left clear tracks in the
rapidly accumulating snow and we
made our way inside.
   Cans of cat food and a supply of
dry mix  was waiting near the kitchen
sink and we dished out generous
portions for the two felines who
call the place home.
   One is an "inside cat"......a sort of
"household guard" I guess.
   The other only patrols the outside
perimeter....except for an occasional
visit to the porch to partake of his
daily meal.
   We headed home, our mission
accomplished,, and glad the snow
hadn't come just "After Midnight"
as originally expected!
   For the remainder of the day we
acted the part of the "inside cat", content
to enjoy the beauty of the snow.
   It looks a lot better when you're
looking out at it!
   Hope you braved the storm and that
all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment