Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Tale Of Two Cities

   My daily walk took me through
parts of Pittston and West Pittston on
Thursday.
   The city is building.
   The Borough is rebuilding.
   Both have a lot to do!
   It's not easy walking down Main
Street in Pittston.
   They're installing new sidewalks
and curbs and pedestrians have to
do a bit of weaving to get where
they're going.
    I saw a sign ahead of me that
said "Sidewalk Closed/Cross Here."
    There was an arrow that directed me
to the other side of the street.
     So I crossed....took about 27 steps
and walked right up to a sign that read
"Sidewalk Closed/Cross Here" with an
arrow directing me back to the other
side of the street."
     Even with the zigzagging I had to
do I have to say the downtown seems
to be shaping up.
    One of the first things you notice
could be summed up by the phrase
"Mum's the word!"  There are mums,
you know, the flowers, planted here
and there along North Main Street
and they give 'Center City' a nice
look.
     When you cross the bridge into
West Pittston the picture quickly
changes. People and businesses
here are still in the midst of a
massive cleanup effort following
the September flooding.
     It there are any mums here I
may have missed them behind huge
piles of wood and debris lining the
curbs.
     Sometimes you have to walk
around a few of those!
     I used to wave to the workers in
a corner cleaners shop there. But I
found the store closed with a home
made sign telling customers that all
clothing not picked up by a certain date
would be donated to charity.
    Most people are working hard to
get things cleaned and fixed up.
    There are a lot of differences in
these two 'cities' which are only
separated by two bridges and the
Susquehanna River.
    But both communities are doing their
best to make things better.
    One is building. The other is
rebuilding.
    I wish them both the best.
    I like to walk there, even if I have
to zigzag a bit!
    I hope they both get the job done
and that all their and your NEWS is
good!

No comments:

Post a Comment