Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

   It seems it will be a little difficult to get out
to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankee ballgames
next season.....even when they're playing  at
home!
    Their stadium at the base of Montage Mountain
is scheduled to be renovated next year and the
team will be playing its  72 'home games' in
six different stadiums in three different states!
     I'm hoping the players will remember where
they're suppose to be......and when!
     But, even if they don't get lost somewhere
between Bativia, New York and Pawtucket, R.I.,
what happens to that so-called "Home field
advantage?'
     Fact is.....in each of those ballparks......even
the 'home team' will be visitors.
     I actually pitched at the PNC Stadium this
year.
     Of course it was softball.
     I thought about giving the "Big Leagues"
a try. I don't believe anyone there can hit my
17-mile-per hour 'fastball.'
     I don't know how much impact the
'improved' stadium will have on baseball in
our area.
     I know I was disappointed when the last
big change involved the removal of
the bleacher seats.
     A few years back I was one of the
'regulars' who sat in that section to cheer
the team on. You could save a couple
of bucks by sitting there and that, I
believe, encouraged a lot of people to
come out to enjoy a few games each
season.
    I would hope the new renovations
would include a few more 'cheap seats!'
    I still enjoy going to the ball games.
    I think, for a lot of us, it brings
back a lot of good memories.
    I remember the times my Dad and
brother took me to the old Yankee
Stadium. It was back in the days when
Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford were
among the big name players you could
see.
    I don't remember who won those
games. I just remember being thrilled
to be there.
    I hope my grand kids will remember
the times we've gone to our local stadium.
    I'll bet they won't remember who
won or lost or if there was or was not
an upper deck!
    They're more likely to think about
an evening with grandpa, the peanuts
and Cracker Jack and, probably, the
great fireworks display. Well maybe
not Cracker Jack....we bought Churros!
     Our "Home Team" will face a
big challenge and it won't come
from opposing teams next year.
    When the stadium work is done
and the "Home Team" comes back
home it will have to make the
game and the atmosphere more
attractive and, I believe, more
affordable to the fans and potential
fans here in northeastern
Pennsylvania.
       If they can do that after a year
away they'll win the big game
around here!
       I hope they're a Big Hit and
that all your NEWS is good!

1 comment:

  1. Making me feel old Dave! I did stories, standing where second base is, when it, well it was just rock, nothing there. Unfortunately I never went to a game there. I have seen the Lakewood BlueClaws... minor league ball is where it's at.

    And no, the couldn't hit your 17 mph fastball, it would be like a Bugs Bunny cartoon, where they would swing three times at one pitch and be out!

    ReplyDelete