Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Going In Circles!

  My wife and I accepted the invitation of
two very close friends this week and took
off for a trip to Peddler's Village in Bucks
County.
   I probably should explain.....this is NOT
a town where everybody rides bicycles!
  Nope!
   This village, filled with colonial style
buildings, is a shopping mecca with 70
speciality shops, an inn, a half dozen
restaurants, and the "Giggleberry Fair
Family Entertainment Center."
    And that's where I found it!
    A 1922 vintage Antique Carousel
that was rescued from neglect,
restored to original condition, and
is up and running again.
    I couldn't resist buying tickets for
our gang and climbing aboard one of
the 46 animal figures hand carved as
part of the restoration.
    We all selected horses as opposed
to the giraffe, goat, rooster, rabbits,
lion, or spotted hog that were
available. I picked one in front of
the others and was able to maintain my
lead throughout the ride!
   The tune.."The Merry Go Round
Spun Round" was in my head. But
this was a Carousel!
   So what's the difference?
   Long ago I was told  a Carousel
went counter-clockwise while a Merry
Go Round turned right..... like a clock!
   Others insist Carousels have all
sorts of animals while a Merry Go
Round has only horses.
   There is also a theory regarding
size. Carousels are thought to be
bigger than Merry Go Rounds.
   Most sources, however, say there
is no difference and suggest the
terms are interchangeable.
   What do you think?
   And...whatever you call it...I think it's
great a treasure like this is in
it's glory and is being maintained for
the young.....and me......to enjoy!
   And what's wrong with going around
in circles anyway?
   A lot of people are doing that without
a Carousel or Merry Go Round!
   At least the riders know where they're
going!
    Hope you've got a ticket to ride
and that all of your NEWS is good!  
   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment