Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Time Machine

   A quick glance at the newspaper
headlines over the past few days
had me thinking I had accidentally
picked up a tabloid from the 1960s!
   In case you haven't heard, there's
a movement afoot involving
people who have decided the best
way to change the world and get
what they believe is right is to get
out in public somewhere to hold
a demonstration.
   In the 60's they called it a protest
march or, in some cases, a "sit in."
   The 20-11 version began when
a group upset with the government
and financial community decided
to "Occupy" Wall Street.
    Now, billions of people.....well
millions....well at least thousands
(I think) have joined the crusade.
    Perhaps it would be more
accurate to say they've joined "a"
crusade.
    One group 'occupied' Scranton
to complain about "Corporate greed."
    According to a television report,
"several people" attended.
    There was an event in Wilkes-
Barre too. An on-line story about
that  protest didn't mention any
numbers.
     I can understand how it's
nearly impossible to count the
number of people in a football stadium.
    But it looked like the fingers
on both hands would have
covered all of those who showed
up for the regional "Occupy"
demonstrations.
     I never participated in a protest
unless you count the time I was on
a picket line.
    We had neat signs and, we thought,
a good cause.
     We ultimately lost our battle.    
      But I guess it was good to have
our say even though, in our case, we
had to "occupy" city streets in the
snow and cold!
      I searched the Internet for
information on the "occupy
movement" and was a bit
surprised to see one group called
"Occupy Sesame Street."
     I'm not sure how Mr Hooper
would have reacted to that.
     I totally support any effort to
exercise our Freedom of
Speech! If you support a cause,
any cause, you should speak up!
    But if you're just there to be one
of the "several" or to make the
paper you might want to
remember that "A closed mouth
gathers no feet!"
     Either way I think it's great
the "protest trend" of the  60's
has still got life.
      I was afraid it would go
away completely after all those
draft cards were burned!
    Hope you're supporting a
good cause and that all your NEWS
is good!

1 comment: