Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Daisy, Daisy..........

  Wildwood's famous Boardwalk is jam packed
with thousands of tourists every day during the
summer.
   It's especially busy at night when you are
besieged with vendors offering samples of such
exotic treats as Polish Water Ice and fresh fudge.
  But it's a different story in the morning when
most of the shops are closed and the Boardwalk
rattles with the sound of wheels rolling over
each plank like a railroad train roaring down
the tracks!
   These are the sounds of bicycles, of all shapes
and sizes, manned (or "womanized as the case may
be) by people either out for exercise or, in most
cases, riding the Boardwalk because their kids
want to do it.
    By about 11am there is more congestion on
this famous Boardwalk then on the Schuylkill
Expressway.
   Yet, ironically, there are far fewer accidents!
   This is especially amazing when you
consider the fact that the majority of these
cyclists probably haven't been on a
bicycle since their last visit to the shore a year
ago!
   I tackled the Boardwalk on a bicycle I
borrowed from my daughter.
   But in my case I was going well beyond the
end of the Boardwalk to visit a friend who
works at the local boat launch ramp.
   The "Lance Armstrong" in me figured
this level ground would make the trip easy!
   It didn't!
   Not because this was my "annual ride."
   Not because of all the other riders in my
path.
   The problem, in my case, was that I was
riding into the wind!
   I now understand why sailors have to learn
to Tack when they're sailing. I don't know
how to do it....but I wonder if there's a way
to use the procedure on a bicycle.
   By the time I reached my buddy I, like the
guy in "A Bicycle Built For Two" was half
crazy with exhaustion!
   Maybe that's the trick! A bicycle built for
two where I could get some else to do....I
mean..share the peddling.
   At least the wind was at my back on the
way home! That's more like it!
   Hope your tires are all inflated and that
all of your NEWS is good!









































No comments:

Post a Comment