Monday, August 6, 2012

Surfing U.S.A.

     I remember being surprised when I heard
a Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer say that
jumping into water, depending on the height,
can be like jumping into concrete!
     I already knew that walking into the ocean
can be like stepping into a deep freeze.
    As we stepped into the Atlantic for the
first time this season we were pleasantly
surprised to find the water rather warm.
    The waves, however, seemed a lot like
blocks of concrete as they slammed into
my body!
    I enjoy "floating" on the waves.
   But, to do that, you've got to get out far
enough to catch them before they break.
   The grand kids had their "Boogie Boards"
which allowed them to use the breakers to
shoot in towards shore.
    Not only couldn't I catch a wave.
    I couldn't catch a break!
    In fact, all the "breakers" were catching
me!
    I dove under the big waves.
    But it's hard to come up from one of those
dives only to see another about to crash over
your head!
    The same wind that helped form and push
the waves was sending sand through the air
at the beach.
    I finally decided the best course of action
was to return to the apartment where
equally warm water, without the waves,
awaited me .............in the swimming pool!
    Hope you've got a sunny day, a place to
swim, and that all your NEWS is good!













2 comments:

  1. I lived on the Jersey Shore until I was 12, however, I haven't been there in YEARS. I haven't had a swim in the Atlantic in over 10 years. Thanks for bringing back good memories.

    www.Donation-Can.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I grew up at the Jersey Shore, and have lived here most of my life, save for those years at TV 22 where we met my friend, but if I find out you were near here and didn't call...hmmmmm I might have to wish you and F5.6 day (a take off on our pal Jimmy Keenan's birthday card wishes, remember them?) proud to call you friend David.

    ReplyDelete