Monday, August 13, 2012

Operator!! Operator?

  Operator...Operator?
  My how telephones have changed!
  When I was a kid if you wanted to
make a call you picked up your
telephone and waited just a moment
till a usually pleasant voice said
"Operator." Then you gave her the
number you wanted to call.
  If I was calling home from a
friend's house I'd say 1-5-1-5.
  That was our number at home.
  Year later technology took us to
the "Dial telephone." You didn't
need the operator, except for long
distance calls.
  The "Dial" eventually gave way to
the "Push Button telephone.
  Then, various forms of Cell Phones
came along and almost everyone has
one these days.
  They can text, access the wed, even
take pictures and video. And, oh yes,
they're sometimes even used for
making calls.
  I've already reported my hour and
a half long experience the other night
when, using a cell phone, I tried to
report that my "regular telephone"
(the one with the push buttons) wasn't
working.
  You may recall that an actual human
finally assured me that my phone
wasn't working (which is why I called
in the first place) and said a repair
crew would be assigned to the problem.
  On Sunday I took my life in my hands
and called Verizon again to see if I
could find out when I might possibly
see that repair crew.
  It was a much shorter call this time.
  Just about ten minutes till an actual
person spoke with me.
  That person, however, told me that I
might expect someone on Thursday as, she
said, I had been told.
   As it happens I had not been told about
any Thursday appointment. If I had I would
have blown my stack THEN as opposed to NOW!
   Basically, that's a week without a
phone and my usual web access!
   Is the rest of the East Coast without
service?
   I'm doing my best to stay calm and to
find clever ways of getting my Blog posted
each day.
   And I'm thinking back to those "Good
Old Days" when the friendly voice on the
other end of my telephone said.."Operator!"
   Oh how I'm missing her about now.
   Hope you're not trying to call me and
that all your NEWS is good!   

  

No comments:

Post a Comment