Wednesday, March 26, 2014

It's Your Move!


  My grandson paid one of his after
school visits to our house yesterday.
   Highlighted by cookies and milk
and an  all too familiar does of "Sponge
Bob," the visit eventually evolves
into some game time.
   Cards are not my favorite. Whatever
the game. And I've been defeated so
many times in the game called "Lier"
that I usually make excuses, lies if you
will, to avoid being drawn into the
action.
    Yesterday the game of choice was
Chess. My grandson challenged my
wife who, in this particular contest,
has become his favorite opponent.
    Lucky for him!
    Although I have and still enjoy a
game of Softball other games and
sports have usually found me lacking!
    Basketball was too fast, Football
too tough and, as for cards, I'd likely
end up with Aces and 8's even if it
was a "winning hand."
     I have, however, have always done
well with Chess.
     My brother taught me how to play
many years ago. I dabbled with it from
time to time. But never thought much
about it until I had the occasion to
challenge my best friend one day.
     He is one of those guys who always
got A's while I was pretty much a C
student. He was in the Academic
Course. I was in the "General" one.
     But I won the chess game!
     And the next one. And the next
one and the rest of the few games I
could talk him into!
     In fact, shortly after my last
victory,  my buddy gave up playing
Chess! That was about 55 years ago!
     And after weeks of losing card
games to my grandson I admit I
grinned just a bit a couple weeks
ago when our chest game ended
when I spoke the words "Check Mate!"
     Guess I haven't lost it all just
yet! Of course I expect a rematch
will be coming up soon!
      Hope you make all the right
moves and that all of your NEWS
is good!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment