Monday, March 10, 2014

TAKEN!

       OK. Let's talk about Saturday night!
       I was TAKEN!
       My sister-in-law suggested we all go
to the dance at her campground's clubhouse.
       Allow me to clarify my feelings about
these rituals. Yes I used to be a DJ and
played music for similar events. But except
for an occasional Twist, I was not big on
dancing.
       I never even bothered with my High
School Prom choosing, instead to go to a
movie at the local Drive In. And that was
back in the days when the people dancing
to Rock & Roll were actually teenagers.
      The prospect of attending a dance
featuring my oldies and the teens who have
now, themselves, become oldies didn't
seem like my best deal of the day.
       Add to that the fact that my wife didn't
plan to dance and I was seconds away from
a decision to visit the local Drive In Theater!
        Counter arguments, from my sister-in-
law, rationalized that we weren't really
going to dance but, rather, to "socialize"
as we talked with one another. Then too,
she suggested, I did like that old time Rock
and Roll. Sensing support from my wife
for that argument I agreed to attend.
       I had been TAKEN!
       The "oldies" I expected did show up,
some dressed in period costume. As for the
"conversation", it was pretty much drown
out by the music which was provided, live, by
a man and woman team.
      The gal wasn't half bad. The gentleman
had a high pitched voice that didn't really
match some of those recording stars you might
remember from the 50's and 60's although he
undoubtedly had been around during and, very
likely, well prior to those years.
     It's the first time I've ever heard Johnny
Cash sound like Charlie McCarthy (Kids
will have to check that reference with their
parents!." We did join with him as he gave
us his version of "Pretty Woman." We all
called out for "Mercy" during the chorus!
    My brother-in-law, who had also been
TAKEN to this affair, was in the same boat
as me and if seemed to be sinking.
    With Daylight Savings Time just hours
away I suggested we move the clock ahead
an hour quickly so everyone might think it
was time to leave.
     Unfortunately we couldn't make it to the
clock!
      My brother- in- law and I have made a
pact. To those who would grab us again for
such an occasion...."We will find you, and
we will kill you!"
      Hope you spent a peaceful evening at
home and that all your NEWS is good.
















No comments:

Post a Comment