Monday, October 26, 2015

The Longway To Longwood

   MONDAY, OCTOBER 26TH.

THE LONGWAY TO LONGWOOD

    My wife has been wanting to go to
Longwood Gardens for the longest
time. The brochure for the place
describes it as a place to see "dazzling
displays that elevate the art of
horticulture." I heard they had a lot
of plants and flowers there too.
    So, when my daughter-in-law said
the family was going for some photo
opportunities I agreed to go as well.
    We thought we had a pretty good
plan. My daughter and her kids
wanted to make the trip so the 5 of
us jumped into my van right after
church which gave us a head start in
the direction we needed to go.
     That worked out fine.....for about
6 miles. That's when we detected a
burning odor that shouldn't have
been there. I pulled over to check
things out. That's when we spotted
the smoke coming out from the hood.
Smoke is not suppose to come out
from the hood.
     As it happened I pulled into the
lot of an auto repair and towing
shop. We'll have them look for the
cause of our problem today.
     But yesterday, as we sat along
Route 309 in Drums we pondered
the problem of getting back home
to get my daughter's car so we
could complete the trip.
     My 17-year-old Grandson
stepped in to save the day. I've
picked him up from school a
score or more of times over the
years. Now that he's driving, and
lives in Drums, he provided the
ride for me!
     Once back home I got the
other car and drove back to pick
up the gang. According to my
GPS it would take 2 hours and
10 minutes to get to Longwood.
We finally pulled up about five
minutes to 4. Not bad....except
for the fact the Gardens close at
6. Do the math. Even without
the breakdown, we managed to
take ten minutes longer to drive to
the place then we could say there
for the afternoon.
    We crammed as much into those
two hours and ten minutes as we
could and, I must admit, it was
worth every minute! The whole
family enjoyed the beautiful
flowers and fountains and we'll
definitely be going back.
     Hope we make it in one car
and in one try....and that all your
NEWS is good!





No comments:

Post a Comment