Friday, May 17, 2019

BACK TO CLASS!


  SATURDAY, MAY 18TH., 2019
            BACK TO CLASS!

  I found myself back in a school
classroom Friday but, thankfully, not
as a student!
   Every year around April or May I'm
invited to talk to students at the Bear
Creek Charter School about the story
of the Titanic.
    Regular readers will remember I
have a connection with the ill fated
ocean liner. I solved a bit of a Titanic
mystery back in 1972 when I learned
the identity of one survivor who had
saved a local survivor's infant son when
the ship sunk in 1912!
      The two never actually met in
person but they did communicate with
one another by phone and mail after I
"introduced" them to one another by
way of my story!
      I am constantly amazed by the
interest young students show in the
story of Titanic which is now 107
years old. Admittedly much of what
they know comes from the movie
"Titanic."
       Fortunately there's enough truth
mixed in with the dramatic fiction to
keep the mystery of the disaster alive
for the next generation.
       Of course I begin by explaining
that I did not actually cover the sinking
when it happened. I'm not sure if they
believed me or not.
         Hope their interest in history
remains strong, and that all their
NEWS is good!      

No comments:

Post a Comment