Wednesday, May 22, 2019

NATIONAL TAFFY DAY!


   THURSDAY, MAY 23RD., 2019
     NATIONAL TAFFY DAY!

  I have to admit I had no idea this
particular "holiday" existed but the
National Confectioners Association
lists May 23rd as National Taffy Day!
  Most of us who live in northeastern
Pennsylvania but vacation along the
Jersey shore know it as "Salt Water
Taffy."
   According to legend that name
dates back to 1883 when a huge
storm hit the coast and flooded the
shops on the Atlantic City boardwalk.
A shop owner  named David Bradley
was approached by a young girl who
asked if he had any taffy. He is said
to have responded "You can have all
the Salt Water taffy you want."
    I've had plenty of taffy in my day
but it's not on top of my candy list.
    It's usually offered as an extra for
fudge buyers on the boardwalk in
Wildwood. Buy a pound of fudge and
get a box of Salt Water taffy.
    My gifts to friends back home
usually came in the form of boxes
of taffy. We ate the fudge!
     I'd say we saved the best for our
friends but that might be "stretching
things" too far!
      Hope you'll celebrate with a
taffy treat and that all your NEWS
is good.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment