Friday, May 31, 2019

SNEAKING IN!


   SATURDAY, JUNE 1ST., 2019
              SNEAKING IN!  

   My wife's sewing machine has
her on pins and needles. It isn't
working properly and she wants
it repaired.
    It's a Swiss made machine and
the only service facility anywhere
nearby is in Stroudsburg. Well, it's
closer than Switzerland!
     We headed that way yesterday
but decided to make it a road trip.
After we delivered her machine to
it's deliverers, we took a drive
through the Delaware Water Gap
then on a rural road that follows
the river.
      The route was, to some extent,
my old stomping ground as I used
to visit a family that lived right off
the river in an area known as Mount
Bethel.
       Traveling in that area made me
acquainted with the tiny New Jersey
community of Belvidere. I took my
wife, then my girl, on a date to a
movie theater there in 1968.
       It was kind of like sneaking in
to New Jersey. And it still is!
       You see Belvidere is the only
place where you can cross from
Pennsylvania into New Jersey, or
vice versa, for free! There's no toll
booth on the small bridge crossing
the Delaware there!
         The theater is still there but
it's a community playhouse now.
Maybe we'll go back again and
take in a show.
           Hope the crossing stays
free and that all your NEWS is
good!





     

No comments:

Post a Comment