Thursday, May 16, 2019

LET'S GET "SIRIUS."

       FRIDAY, MAY 17TH., 2019
         LET'S GET "SIRIUS!"
 
    Let's get serious folks. But, in this case, let's
spell it "Sirius XM!"
    For those who don't already know Sirius XM
is the satellite radio service that broadcasts just
about any kind of music to your home or car.
   It also offers sports, news, comedy,
talk, and entertainment.
   Much of it is commercial free.
   Subscribers pay about $200 a year for all this
variety.
    But why pay for something you can get for
"free?"
    Well a lot of those "free" broadcasters are
providing the answer themselves! And they're
doing it with their programming!
     I do spend some time listening to WILK,
which at least makes an attempt to present
some local news. The "Talk shows" are
pretty much like the weather, good one day,
not so good the next. And I haven't heard
much of anything that would keep me glued
to the channel. Certainly far too much 
politics!
      One guy called in raving about an area
candidate Thursday. Then we find out he
doesn't even live in the candidate's district.
He just happen to be a good friend of the
person running!  Great objectivity! Not!
    I switched to an area "religious station"
that also offers a call in "talk program."
    But the only talk, through most of the
program, was the announcer who offered
a few comments in between playing music
which can be heard...without talk......at other
times of the day. A forum wasted as far as
I'm concerned.
     I switched stations again, this time to a
"sports station." But the announcers at this
spot on the dial were rambling on about a
sport I don't follow at all!
     I didn't catch any music signals on FM
that interested me and the AM signals in my
car are very poor.
    And speaking of signals, if I did find an
AM or FM, or HD station that grabbed my
attention, I'd probably lose it by the time I
was 20 miles out of town!
    While there are "dead spots" here and there
I could pretty much pick a channel on my
satellite radio and listen to it all the way
across the country!
    I'll never completely give up on local radio.,
    It still has tremendous potential.
    But, at the moment, much of what I hear
reminds me of former FCC Chairman Newton
Minnow's comments about the "Vast Wasteland"
of broadcasting!
    Think I'll pick a 50's or 60's satellite channel,
sit back, and enjoy the show.
    Hope you remember that your radio has a
dial and an "On & Off" switch and that all your
NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment