Thursday, May 30, 2019

GRADUATION MEMORIES


       FRIDAY. MAY 31ST., 2019
      GRADUATION MEMORIES

    One of our granddaughters received
her High School Diploma Wednesday
evening. Another, and an exchange
student my daughter is hosting, will
graduate one week from today.
     There's a lot of pomp and
circumstance at these ceremonies
which is why they usually play
that march as the students arrive.
      My best friend still recalls our
graduation ceremonies at the
Harmen Geist Stadium in Hazleton.
He tells me we marched in couples
as we entered the stadium heading
to our seats. He can stull tell still
tell me who his partner was on that
march.
       Admittedly I can't recall the
identity of my marching partner.
        I don't remember much of
what was said that evening either.
        I do remember the fact that
in spite of all those ceremonies
we really weren't graduation, at
least not officially, until we went
back to the school,the following
day I believe,to return our caps
and gowns!
        I got mine back as quickly
as possible so that diploma would
be officially mine.
       For a year or so afterwards
I still had nightmares I was back
in school and couldn't remember
the combination for my locker!
       Those High School years
somehow grew fonder as time
went by. I tended to remember
the friends and fun more than
the homework and tests.
        I haven't missed a reunion
since graduation and now
enjoy sharing memories with
that "old gang of mine" which,
alas, is growing smaller as each
year passes.
        My grandkids have all
been involved in their schools
a lot more that I was back in the
day.
        I hope their memories, and
all their future NEWS, will all
be good!


No comments:

Post a Comment