Wednesday, September 2, 2020

WAITING FOR THE PACKAGE!

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 3rd, 2020
   WAITING FOR THE PACKAGE!

   When I wrote about the Pony Express and
the Postal System the other day I got to
thinking about how much I depended on the
mail. Especially as a kid!
     Remember Ralphie in "A Christmas Story?"
Checking his mailbox every day waiting for that
secret decoder ring from the "Little Orphan
Annie Radio Show!
      Well I was that kid. In my case though it
wasn't "Little Orphan Annie." I was probably
waiting for a premium from "Sky King" or
"Straight Arrow" or "Roy Rogers."
       The way it worked, the cereal companies
that sponsored those radio shows offered
premiums like rings, badges, or patches to
us listeners.  You usually had to send in a
quarter or maybe 50 cents along with two
box tops from the cereal to get your prize
in the mail.
       I cheated. I'd sebd in one box top and
one box bottom! Then the cereal companies
got wise and started asking for a Seal from
the box so you had to buy two boxes instead
of just using one.
       These days I don't get many packages
in the mail. Most come from Amazon, or UPS,
or Fed-Ex! Maybe all that competition is
slowing down the mail?!
        But I still look forward to getting
those packages no matter who brings them!
        Hope you do too, that you're well, and
that all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment