Monday, May 30, 2011

The Great Race!

     Our holiday weekend began with a visit
to a Car Show on Saturday!
 There were all kinds of cars and trucks
competing for your attention and, of
course, trophies.
 One of the categories is for "Classics.'
 Some of those cars I traded in back in the
60's and 70's are now 'classics'and
generally worth two to three times
what I paid for them brand new!
 I had a 56 Ford Fairlaine convertible.
 I bought it used in 1961 for $750.
 The closest one I could find on line
is selling for $29,500 and its a hardtop!
 If I knew then what I know now!
 Of course back then all you noticed
were the problems.
 I once had a 1958 Corvette.
 It kept flying out of 4th gear while
I was driving! And it's the only car
I ever owned where you could physically
see the gas gauge moving! Down of course!
 The car show included classics,trucks,
low riders, and cars with better, or at
least louder,sound systems than some of
your local movie theaters!
 Then we heard that there was to be a
big race!
 Well, actually, we heard it wrong.
 It was a 'Big Wheel Race.'
 Visitors were encouraged to enter
any contraption on wheels to race down
a steep hill.
 Two of the 'vehicles' looked
suspiciously like modified shopping
carts.
 I encouraged my wife to enter her
new wheeled 'walker' but she declined
saying something about 'sanity' and
'safety.'
 Actually only one of the four brave
drivers wrecked. Somehow he lost control
of his child's pedal car and managed to
crash into the only sign post on the side
of the hill. We was able to walk away.
  Impressed as we were the second race
was even 'stickier.'
  A half dozen contestants entered
the contest to see who could drink the
most maple syrup in the quickest
time.
 Each was armed with an unlimited
supply of the liquid sugar and a 5
gallon can which organizers had put in
place. They weren't there to catch
spilled syrup! Fortunately none of
the contestants needed to use them!
 It's hard to beat excitement like
that!
 What a great way to start a great
Holiday Weekend!
 Hope you have a great one and that
all of your NEWS is good.     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment