Sunday, May 1, 2011

Final Jeopardy!

   I'LL TAKE PHOTOS FOR 30!

 Well my fears and doubts were all
for nothing! In case you missed
yesterday's Blog, I was invited to
be a contestant for a Quiz Show
staged before a live audience at
the Scranton Cultural Center last
night.
 The game show is called 
'You Live Here So You Should Know
This.' High School students
designed the 'Jeporady-like' quiz
for the Lackawanna Historical
Society to promote an interest in
the area's heritage.
 I'm from Luzerne County so I was
a bit concerned about my ability
to handle Lackawanna County
questions.
 But a couple of the questions
involved identifying photographs
of area landmarks. I'm OK with
pictures! When my first turn came
up I picked Photos for
10  and correctly identified
the former Jermyn Hotel!  On the
next round I took 'Photos for 30'
and identified a picture of a classic
light fixturere as coming from the
Cultural Center. Right again!
(That, however, was a lucky guess!)
 My final challenge came
under the category of  'Industry.'
 I had to explain what each of the
letters in  'COLTS' represented.
 My answer...."County Of
Lackawanna Transit System."
 Another correct answer...and 30
points!!!!!
 Even if I hadn't known
the other multiple choice selections,
which included
 'County Of Love Transit System',
got  more laughs than votes. 
 But our team wasn't so lucky.
 A couple of wrong answers fielded
correctly by our opponents gave
them the victory!
 Steve Corbett of WILK was on the
winning team. He asked in advance
if I had offered to pay off any of
the judges. I explained my
position which has always been..
I can't be bought ( I can be
leased).
 All kidding aside, it was a great
night for a good cause and you have
to credit the students for their
research of local history to come
up with the questions.
 To them, and you, here's hoping
all your NEWS is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment