Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Price Is Right?

    Ever since Bill Cullen premiered the
original 'The Price Is Right' TV show
contestants have been trying to win
cash and prizes by trying to guess the
actual cost of merchandise.
 I've got a version in mind that might
be both challenging and surprising.
 We're beginning to get some of the
first bills connected with my
wife's recent foot surgery and three
Emergency Room visits at
two separate hospitals over the
past several weeks.
 Guessing the the right price for
medical expenses is a real task.
 Especially when you're not really
sure what's being done.
 One Emergency  Room invoice,
for instance, is billing $152 for a
'Breathing Test.'
  We can't remember any specific test
or action involving her breathing.
 As a matter of fact I was pretty
certain, after speaking with her
during her two hour visit, that she
had been breathing during that entire
time!
  Of course I'm not a
professional. But I think I would
have noticed any lack of breathing.
 The Emergency Room itself was
very nice. But for $931 I think
a candlelight dinner should have been
included.
 There were three separate charges
for 'Laboratory Services' and one
for 'Pharmacy Services' too.
 They don't spell out what was done
but I'm sure they were important.
 Any contestant want to guess the
overall price?
 Whoever came closest to
$1294 wins the round!
 OK let's try another one.
 A close friend is dealing with
some heart concerns. They've given
him an electronic vest that will
literally 'zap' his heart into a
normal beat should it show signs
of stopping.
 You could get fooled on this one
because he's not actually
buying the vest. He's only 'renting'
it.
 That worries me a bit.
 I can visualize the scene if he
falls behind on his payments"
 (Doctor: "You must pay the rent!"
 (Patient: "I can't pay the rent!'
 (Doctor: "Then I'll taking my batteries
 home!"
  I know that probably wouldn't
happen. In fact both my wife and
our friend are getting excellent
medical care.
  And thanks to good health care
insurance things don't seem as
expensive as they really are.
  Still, we didn't actually get
to see our surgeon during our
last appointment. We were told
he was 'out of town'. Possibly
even out of the country.
 Guess he probably got our first
payment!
 Stay healthy and may all of your
NEWS be good! 

   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment